But I'll have something interesting to post about soon, as we are leaving for Ireland tomorrow morning! We will be there for 9 days, returning Sun Sept 2. We are going to drive our own car and we've booked our ferry crossing from Holyhead, which is near Liverpool (a four-hour drive from Oxford). The ferry goes across to Dublin, which we'll see first before driving a loop around the southern part of the Emerald Isle.
In the meantime, I'll share a few pictures of a great place I worked on for my website this week, which has much better weather than England. It's an ancient city in the south of Italy called Paestum, which has not one but three Greek temples built around 500 BC. And there are sandy beaches nearby and the region is known for its delicious buffalo mozzarella. Heaven!
I've not been there myself, but I hope we'll get the chance to visit during our planned European tour next year. So the photos below are by other fine photographers - click on any of them to see my article and the image credits.
Temple of Ceres (500 BC), later used as a church.
Temple of Hera (550 BC)
Temple of Neptune (500 BC)
A Greek tomb mural in the on-site museum, featuring a diver that's said to represent the transition from life to death. Or maybe the deceased just liked diving!
The beach nearby. Sigh.
1 comment:
Paestum is fabulous, we visited the site in 2005.
I tried to access your Sacred Destinations site but I keep receiving an 'access forbidden' message.
I am involved with the Churches Tourism Association and a project called Sacred Britain, details of which are available online.
Post a Comment